Monday, June 17, 2013

Comfort Food 002: French Toast

The weekend always brings out the breakfast chef in me.  A few weeks ago a friend handed me several slices of her grandma's infamous homemade bread.  My immediate first thoughts, oooh I am making some french toast!  I left the bread on the counter for a few days to dry out.  Additionally, I have recently acquired some Sangster's Rum Cream from a quick vacation to Jamaica, I decided that the flavor would be a perfect add on this very traditional meal.





Necessary Ingredients:

3 eggs
2/3 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp of cinnamon
4 slices of stale bread
Butter
Maple Syrup

Optional:
1/4 cup rum cream
Fresh berries
Powdered sugar




 In a bowl beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla together. If using, rum cream. Whisk until well blended, pour into a shallow bowl.

Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing bread to soak up some of the mixture. Melt some butter (or use vegetable oil or pam spray) over a large skillet on medium high.  Add as many slices of bread onto the skillet as will fit at a time.  Fry until brown on both sides, flipping bread when necessary.

Plate and serve hot with butter and maple syrup, if available, fresh berries.

French Kisses :-*



No comments: